Music Users

Why Do I Need A Licence for Music?

Why The Legal Need For An IMRO Licence?

Just like any other input into your business, the use of  musical compositions must be paid for.  When you use copyright music in your business you must first obtain permission from the copyright owners to do so and you do this by taking out a licence from and paying the appropriate licence fees due thereon to IMRO.

IMRO Offers You An Easy Solution!

IMRO makes it easy for businesses to tap into the power of music with its simple cost-effective licence. We can provide you with a music licence that covers any use of most copyright music that takes place in your business premises, whether it be played by means of a television, radio/CD/digital player, PC or performed live.  By obtaining an IMRO licence, your business will be legally compliant to use IMRO repertoire and all for just one payment per year. This frees you up to use music to drive your business objectives in a fully legal manner! 

If I just have a TV or Radio do I need an IMRO Licence?

The simple answer is yes.  A lot of copyright music is contained within television and radio broadcasts.  Just think about the intro tune to your favourite television programme.  Whether the performance is by means of a television, radio, record/CD/digital player, jukebox, video, PC or a live performance, an IMRO licence is still necessary. 

Where Do Your Licence Fees Go?

All of the licence fees collected, after administration costs are deducted, are paid directly to the people who compose, publish and write the music that is used in business. 

By paying your annual licence fee to IMRO, you are enabling songwriters to continue writing songs that you will ultimately use to improve your business operation. By protecting music writers rights we encourage and reinforce the creativity that helps everyone develop and prosper.

Additional Questions / Information:

If you are an existing music user or you intend to use music in your company in the future, please contact the IMRO Licensing Department at (01) 6614844 or by email at

If you are incorporating copyrighted works into an audio / audio visual production, you must first obtain permission from the copyright holders to do so. For information about mechanical rights (reproduction rights) click here