Entries are now open for the annual IMRO Christie Hennessy Song Competition 2017 which takes place in memory of one of Tralee’s most famous sons. Songwriters are invited to submit an audio link for their entry by email to ei.ormi@pihsrebmem before the deadline of Friday 29th September (NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL AUDIO FILE ATTACHMENTS).
Ten finalists will be selected to perform their song at the live final of the contest on Saturday 4th November in The Ashe Hotel, Tralee, Co. Kerry, with the winning songwriter being presented with a cheque for €1,000 courtesy of IMRO. A runner up prize of €300 will also be presented on the night.
A Tralee native, Christie Hennessy began his music career at a young age when he moved to London, playing in clubs by night and working on building sites during the day. He started writing songs at the age of 23 and went on release numerous platinum selling albums.
Christie’s songs were later recorded by artists such as Christy Moore (“Don’t Forget Your Shovel”), Frances Black (“All The Lies That You Told Me”), Moya Brennan (“Oh Jealous Heart”) and Nizlopi, who reached Christmas Number 1 in UK and Ireland in 2005 with their hit “JCB Song”, sampling Christie’s lyrics from “Don’t Forget Your Shovel”.
Previous winners of the IMRO Christie Hennessy Song Contest include Paul McDonnell, Dave Molloy, Alan Kavanagh, Enda Reilly / Christine Deady, Míde Houlihan and Katie O’Connor.
The deadline for entries is Friday 29th September and successful finalists will be notified by Monday 9th October.
CHRISTIE HENNESSY SONG COMPETITION 2017
RULES OF ENTRY
1. The lyrics and music must be the original work of the songwriter (s).
2. The competition is open to all types of song, in any style – ballad, country, pop, rock etc.
3. Songs may be entered in either the English or Irish language.
4. The competition is open to national and international songwriters.
5. Songwriters may only enter one song for consideration.
6. Entries will not be returned – all songwriters should retain a copy of their song submission.
7. Entries can be submitted via an online link to your song to ei.ormi@pihsrebmem (NOTE: Please do not email audio file attachments) or on a CD by post to the address below. All entries must be accompanied by a copy of the lyrics; typed or clearly written.
8. Finalists will be notified by Monday 9th October 2017.
9. The provisional adjudication will be on the basis of the tracks submitted, from which 10 finalists will be chosen.
10. Each of the 10 finalists will be invited to take part in a live concert in Tralee on Saturday 4th November 2017. Backing tracks are not permitted for this performance.
11. Each songwriter will be responsible for providing the singer and/or group for his/her entry in the final at his/her own expense.
12. A first prize of €1,000 will be presented to the winning songwriter on the night of the final. A runner-up prize of €300 will be presented to the second placed finalist.
13. Final adjudication will be on the night of the final. Decisions of the adjudication panel will be final.
14. Entry for the contest implies acceptance of all the rules.
15. Postal entries should be sent to:
IMRO Christie Hennessy Song Contest 2017
C/o Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO)
Lower Baggot Street