The Model – one of Ireland’s leading contemporary arts centres – has just launched its music programme for autumn / winter 2010. Based in Sligo, The Model re-opened earlier this year following a major redevelopment.
Highlights of The Model’s music programme include performances by Bell X1, Halves and Pierre Bensusan, in addition to collaborations with Sligo Live Sessions and the Con Brio Sligo Music Series. The centre also announced details of its first music residency, which will give musicians the opportunity to live and work at The Model for the duration of a month.
Announcing the music programme, Seamus Kealy said the aim of The Model was to bring the best of both well-established and up-and-coming acts to the North West region.
“Our music programme has a strong focus on indie and alternative acts from Ireland and abroad, and we also have lots on offer – on an ongoing basis – for fans of classical, contemporary and experimental music,” he said.
“As part of The Model’s music programme, we’re also delighted to announce our first music residency. This is a month-long residency available to musicians, composers or sound artists of any discipline. The residency offers a furnished apartment on-site for the exclusive use of the resident; access to a music rehearsal studio; and the possibility of performing in The Model’s performance space during the residency.”
The Model’s first music residency is available for December 2010 and applications are now being invited from interested music practitioners, with an application deadline of Monday, 25th October at 5pm. The application form is available on The Model’s website, www.themodel.ie.
Details of the autumn / winter music programme at The Model are as follows:
- Friday, 8th October, 9pm: ‘rhizome(s): a tour of legitimate sharing’. Thread Pulls; Thulebasen; and Patrick Kelleher
- Saturday, 9th October, 8pm: Con Brio Sligo Music Series presents A Tale of Two Countries with Orquesta de Cuerdas Española (Spanish string orchestra).
- Friday, 22nd October, 8pm: Alan Kelly Quartet with special guest Eddi Reader (as part of the Sligo Live Sessions festival).
- Saturday, 23rd October, 8pm: Lloyd Cole Small Ensemble (as part of the Sligo Live Sessions festival). Lloyd Cole returns to the stage with collaborators Mark Schwaber and Matt Cullen, joined by The Lost Brothers.
- Friday, 5th November, 8.30pm: Halves.
- Saturday, 13th November, 8.30pm: Pierre Bensusan, Live and Acoustic.
- Friday, 19th November, 8pm: Con Brio Sligo Music Series presents Flights of Fantasy with the Irish Baroque Orchestra Chamber Soloists.
- Friday, 26th November, 8.30pm: NoCrows album launch.
- Saturday, 27th November, 9pm: BellX1, Live and Acoustic (SOLD OUT)
Tickets for all performances are on sale from The Model, Tel: 071-9141405, Email: . Further details of the centre’s music programme are available at: www.themodel.ie.