There is no actual system for copyrighting a work of creativity. Copyright automatically subsists by virtue of an original work being produced in material form e.g tape, CD, digital file, manuscript. If a dispute over ownership of a work arises it is important for the owner to be able to prove that he/she owned the work at a particular date. The following system may be used:-
- Place the tape, CD, sheet music or the lyrics of the song/work in an envelope.
- Address the envelope to yourself and write the name of the song/work on the outside.
- Post the envelope to yourself by registered post.
- When you receive the envelope it is important to remember that you should NOT OPEN it. Make sure that the date is clearly stamped and that the envelope is completely sealed.
- Keep the envelope in a safe place (e.g. your solicitor’s office or a bank).